The thoughts of a young woman who observes and participates from a different angle
Monday, April 20, 2009
Here...
I've been there; I've sat in the same chair and watched the people file pass me... each one offering their words of sympathy, encouragement, and assurance. Well, yesterday I was in the line of people filing pass; it was a long line, so as I waited... I heard snippets of memories floating around me. I personally didn't know the lost loved one, but he was "Papa" (Grandpa) to two of my best friends. As I slowly made my way through the line, I looked at the photos, flowers, obituary, and the "missed one"... all of which testified to the story of his life. I came to the family, expressed my sympathy... and then I came upon my friends. In that instant, the words I had been saying to the previous 7 family members seemed empty, futile... words they had heard a 100 times before I arrived. I could see the emptiness they felt, and I had NOTHING, except "You have my sympathy?" But then I realized that wasn't all I had... I had silence... enough silence for crying... enough silence for love and support... enough silence just to be there. Of course, on the way home, I thought about words I could have said... maybe should have said... but then I thought "my friends didn't need to hear words"... some times silence speaks louder than words... some times silence says it all: "I'm here for you!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment