In my blog post last week, I addressed the stigmatization of mental illness. In today's society, mental illness is still an issue that is not openly discussed. It is an issue that is more or less swept under a rug and ignored. Perhaps people think that if the issue is not addressed, it will simply not exist or disappear. However, mental illness is not an issue that disappears; it is a serious problem that needs to be addressed. But how does one reduce the stigmatism of mental illness?
Unfortunately, I do not think there is any easy solution to this social problem. However, I think there are some things an individual can do to help reduce the stigmatism. First of all, I don't think individuals need to fear mental illness. I understand that this is probably easier said than done, considering news stories of mentally ill people engaging in a killing rampage. But I think that we have to remember that these radical mentally ill people are probably only a small percentage. Second, I think that individuals can be more educated on mental illness. I will admit that I do not know a lot about mental illness. I know some of the basics, but I do not have an in-depth knowledge on the issue. Third, I think it is important to treat mentally ill people as normal individuals. Yes, they have a problem, but we all have problems. Some of us have more apparent problems than others, but we are all essentially in the same boat.
I realize that this is not a rocket science solution; I do not have the education or experience to provide that kind of solution! But if we all do a little something to help reduce this stigmatism, it may make a difference for someone.
1 comment:
Many people with serious mental illness are challenged doubly. On one hand, they struggle with the symptoms and disabilities that result from the disease. On the other, they are challenged by the stereotypes and prejudice that result from misconceptions about mental illness. As a result of both, people with mental illness are robbed of the opportunities that define a quality life: good jobs, safe housing, satisfactory health care, and affiliation with a diverse group of people. Although research has gone far to understand the impact of the disease, it has only recently begun to explain stigma in mental illness. Much work yet needs to be done to fully understand the breadth and scope of prejudice against people with mental illness. Fortunately, social psychologists and sociologists have been studying phenomena related to stigma in other minority groups for several decades
Mental illness has wide-reaching effects on people’s education, employment, physical health, and relationships. Although many effective mental health interventions are available, people often do not seek out the care they need. In fact, in 2011, only 59.6% of individuals with a mental illness — including such conditions as anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, and bipolar disorder — reported receiving treatment.
Structural stigma (i.e., stigma that is part of social and institutional policies and practices) presents additional large-scale barriers to mental care by undermining opportunities for people to seek help. A lack of parity between coverage for mental health and other health care, lack of funding for mental health research, and use of mental health history in legal proceedings, such as custody cases, all present structural reasons that people might not seek treatment.
Some of the harmful effects of stigma can include:
Reluctance to seek help or treatment
Lack of understanding by family, friends, co-workers or others you know
Fewer opportunities for work, school or social activities or trouble finding housing
Bullying, physical violence or harassment
Health insurance that doesn't adequately cover your mental illness treatment
The belief that you'll never be able to succeed at certain challenges or that you can't improve your situation
Join a support group. Some local and national groups, such as the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), offer local programs and Internet resources that help reduce stigma by educating people with mental illness, their families and the general public. Some state and federal agencies and programs, such as those that focus on vocational rehabilitation or the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), offer support for people with mental health conditions.
Get help at school. If you or your child has a mental illness that affects learning, find out what plans and programs might help. Discrimination against students because of a mental health condition is against the law, and educators at primary, secondary and college levels are required to accommodate students as best they can. Talk to teachers, professors or administrators about the best approach and resources. If a teacher doesn't know about a student's disability, it can lead to discrimination, barriers to learning and poor grades.
Speak out against stigma. Consider expressing your opinions at events, in letters to the editor or on the Internet. It can help instill courage in others facing similar challenges and educate the public about mental illness.
Post a Comment