The thoughts of a young woman who observes and participates from a different angle
Wednesday, January 09, 2008
Beyond the writing...
I spent some time this afternoon reading two books, The Children's Writer's Market and The Writer's Market. These books are basically a resource for learning how to get published, how to craft one's writing to publisher needs, and how to manage a career in writing. The reading was interesting and helpful, but in all honesty it was overwhelming and a little discouraging as well. It's not that I learned that the process and road to publishing was long; it's not that I learned how much effort and work I need to do just to have my writing considered... but it's that I learned how much I'm still lacking. Yes, I have the talent; yes, I have the education; yes I have the passion. What I am lacking is connections, community, and experiential knowledge. Granted, I realize these things will come as I pursue my writing career on a more full-time basis. However, at this point... I'm learning all I need to do beyond my writing... I'm beginning to wonder when I'll have time to write after all the research, contacts, and responses.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Well, first you write. Then you use what you wrote to make the contacts. They tell you that you have potential, but it's not quite what they need. But still, you have the contacts, and they think of you as a budding writer that they are "nurturing." :) Then you write again. Then you use your contacts to shop around some more. It all happens in alternating phases. That way, life stays interesting.
Post a Comment