Monday, January 19, 2009

Making History...

Tomorrow, January 20, 2009, the United States of America will be making history. Barak Obama, the first African American, will take the oath of office as the President of the United States. He will be forever remembered... maybe not so much for what he does or doesn't do... but more so for being the first African American President. During my last semester of graduate school, I took a class entitled African American Literature, which focused on slave narratives. Of course, I studied slavery and the slave-trade countess times in history classes, but it wasn't until the literature class that the brutality of slavery became real. I was reading "their" stories and music, narratives of cruelty and hopelessness. They suffered because "someone" decided that their skin didn't have the right pigmentation! Over the last few months, there has been a constant clatter of critics and supporters... all speculating what the Obama administration will do to the country. No one knows... there is only one known thing... Obama will be making history... no one or nothing will take that away from him. As for me, I'll be watching the "making of history", while God continues to be in control!

No comments: